I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Bridesmaid - Beverly Lewis

"Twenty-seven-year-old Joanna Kurtz has made several trips to the altar, but never as a bride. The single young Amishwoman is a closet writer with a longing to be published--something practically unheard of in her Lancaster County community. Yet Joanna's stories aren't her only secret. She also has a beau who is courting her from afar, unbeknownst even to her sister, Cora, who, though younger, seems to have suitors to spare. Eben Troyer is a responsible young Amishman who hopes to make Joanna Kurtz his bride--if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana, Indiana. Yet with his only brother off in the English world, intent on a military career, Eben's hopes for building a life with his dear Joanna are dimming, and patience is wearing thin. Will Joanna ever be more than a bridesmaid?"

The Bridesmaid is the second book in Beverly Lewis' trilogy Home to Hickory Hollow series, but is could also be read as a stand alone.  Mrs. Lewis is one of my favorite authors and I have enjoyed every book I have read by her.  I love how vivid her descriptions of the settings are.  It makes you feel like you are right there in Hickory Hollow.  Joanna is a wonderfully written character.  Her heartbreak over her relationship with Eben made me tear up at points.  I loved how even in the midst of not understanding, she placed her full trust in the Lord, even going as far as laying out a "fleece" before Him.  (I won't give it away, but I loved that little side story in the novel.) Eben's dedication to his family is noble and heart wrenching all at the same time.  I would highly recommend this book and cannot wait for Mrs. Lewis' next one!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment