I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

NLT The Way Bible

The Way (A Bible using the New Living Translation)
I remember this bible from when I was young.  I am pleased to see that they are adapting its flavour to the modern reader.  I am writing my review from an advanced readers copy.  There may be minor changes to the version that you buy.

The Way has become known for its edgy photos, its cutting edge testimonials, and its relevance to the culture.  Of course, the Bible itself is always relevant, but when it comes to study bibles there is a purpose to how it frames the scriptures. 

Originally, The Way used the Living Bible (a paraphrase).  This version uses the more reliable New Living Translation (note that it is a translation). 

Within the pages of this Bible some study aids for the reader have been inserted.  Each book of the Bible has an introductory section to set up the purpose of the book, and to show how it is relevant to the modern reader.

There are contributions from writers in different parts of the Christian world, some well known, some just everyday Joe and Josephine.  

“Living in the Way” is a writing section that is inserted that describes an aspect of the human element in a particular biblical story.  It draws the reader in and shows how people and human nature has not really changed in thousands of years, and that we all are still in the struggle of right and wrong.

“Lament” seems to be a section to clarify something about a story.  Anyone that has read the Bible knows that there are places where you can get confused.  These passages sort of frame an issue and then explain the theology in modern language.

This Bible has some QR code squares within its pages.  They link to many of the different articles and writings.  I found them to be hard to use.  The camera on my phone could not focus on the squares because they were too small.  I tried two different apps to test them.  I hope this is changed for the official printing.

Overall, this is a great Bible.  I think I would recommend this to the older teen, or the young adult.  Welcome back, “The Way”.

Advanced Reader's Copy of the Bible has been provided courtesy of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 




No comments:

Post a Comment