I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Anything: The Prayer that Unlocked my God and my Soul - By Jennie Allen

Wow!  I loved this book!  I love books that challenge me in my faith and are raw and honest with what Christians think and believe and this one did a very good job.  I have been posting quotations from the book as Facebook statuses for a few days now, and have had some good feedback from the people that commented on it.

This book is out to really challenge those of us that profess to follow Jesus in the comfortable North American culture.  Jennie Allen is very open with how she felt, and some of the questions that she asked in her own time of examining what she really believed.... about what her faith actually meant.

I just did a teaching based on the passage near the beginning where Ms. Allen is in class and asking what things truly contribute to the success of a person moving in their faith.  She lists off all the things off that you would expect.  Bible study, prayer, worship, all that stuff.  Her professor contributes confession of sin and activity in the church community.  But here was the really challenging part.  First, there have been people that read the Bible, or go to church, or pray but never get to know Jesus.  The professor puts out this idea.  The only thing that works with faith in Jesus 100% of the time is risk... trust in the unseen God, and truly believing what he says in his Word (the Bible), but then living that out to the full.

It was a very challenging thought.  I really did a lot of thinking and examining of my own life.  I highly recommend this book!  It is all about full surrender to God... scary, but needed for a strong walk!

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.   Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment