I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Place at the Table By Chris Seay

Wow! This book is a challenge! Designed to work around Lent, this book calls the reader to fasting to stand with those that don’t HAVE. This is a 40 day devotional with readings each day that include a teaching portion, a specific prayer, and a short personal story from someone that lives in an impoverished part of the world.
Going through this book as someone living in Canada, having a job, and a car, and for the most part not having to worry about where the next meal is going to come from brings perspective. In my culture, I am by no means considered rich, but people in my culture need to be reminded that there is a whole HUGE portion of the world that has almost nothing… that has to walk miles to collect even dirty water, while people where I live complain that they don’t like the taste of just water. Even bringing the idea closer to home, there are people in my city, even my neighbourhood that struggle to make it.
This is an excellent call to fast. Seay allows the reader to come to their own reasons for the fast, but that it all be done to show solidarity with the poor among us. Jesus said that the poor will always be among us. We who are blessed should give, and share. The thing that stood out to me most in this call to fast was in whatever you fast, don’t keep it. Find a way to donate the food or the amount of money to help someone. Doing this fast will be a challenge, but very worth the spiritual growth that it bring.
I strongly recommend this book.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment